Think about how Superman's powers grew over the history of his comic. He started by being able to lift cars and jump over buildings. After a while, he could fly and had heat vision. Eventually he could destroy small planets by running into them. Now nearly all the comic heroes are superheros. I guess there are some who aren't- Batman is merely a highly motivated rich guy with cool tech. Daredevil is closer to what I am thinking of.
Small powers (TM)- still slightly beyond the actual human range- should make for an interesting premise. This course back to a concept I learned about in high school, in a course called "Meet the Monsters"- "preternatural." Truly preternatual powers are those which seem like plausible extensions of what humans can actually do.Being twice as strong as the winning Olympic bodybuilder is preternaural. Being able to turn into a bat is supernatural, by contrast.
The word "Paranormal" also gets at what I am thinking of, but it is critical that the powers not grow beyond relatively minor abilities.
So, I started by writing a taxonomy of small powers, and their limitations, and some other considerations. Let me know if you are interested, and I will plunk it in and send it along. Kinda fun to think about. Here's a bit of it -
"Smalls" - they call themselves this ,
- do not wear supersuits
- do not take new names or assumer alteregos
- do not tend to have more or less welath than most other people. They actually have jobs they need to work at in order to pay their bills
Who are "Smalls" (Persons bearing small powers) ?
- Smalls have all the usual vices, and their morality is no different than that of most people you know.. It varies all over the place
- Smalls are not heros, nor are they antiheros. They are just people who find themselves to be bearing usual abilities, and decide to do something about it (or not). Not all Smalls opt to use their power
- Smalls are not characters in some cosmic drama
- Smalls are not "mutants" in the X-men sense
Smalls can, however,
- usually recognize other Smalls
- moderately increase or refine their single power through discipline and exercise, study
- can (infrequently, unreliably) reverse or oppose their power
That's all I know, so far. As I find out more, I will let you know.
Re-Use License for content from Pyegar's Small Powers domain by Dave Davis is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivative Works 3.0 License. .
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at Ozmo